Type: cyfsa faq

Individuals can request correction of records they’ve received from service providers. Service providers must respond to correction requests within 30 calendar days and cannot charge fees. In limited cases, you may extend the deadline for a full response by up to 90 days.

You must correct the record if the individual demonstrates that it is inaccurate or incomplete and gives you the information to correct the record. However, you can refuse a request to correct a record if:

  • the information is a professional opinion or observation made in good faith
  • your organization did not create it, and you lack the knowledge, expertise or authority to correct it

If you refuse to make a correction, you must provide a written response explaining why, within 30 calendar days. You must inform them of their right to file a complaint about the decision to the IPC and their right to prepare a statement of disagreement to attach to the file.

Learn more about responding to correction requests

This post is also available in: French