Type: cyfsa faq

The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner provides oversight of Ontario’s access and privacy laws, including Part X of the CYFSA.

Any person can file a written complaint with the IPC if they believe another person has or is about to contravene Part X. The IPC promotes informal and early resolution of complaints wherever possible, and often does this through mediation.

If a complaint is not resolved at an early stage, the IPC may decide to conduct a formal review.

The IPC has the power to make orders — for example, it may order a service provider to grant an individual access to their record. The IPC’s orders and decisions are publicly available on our website.

Learn more about the the role of the IPC under Ontario’s child and family services law.

This post is also available in: French